Do you know somebody who is innovative, inspiring, and basically would make a great leader within MLA? Well time to step up and take action. The MLA Nominating Committee is identifying potential candidates for the 2014/15 election. That means if you know of somebody you think would be good as a Board Member or President, then you need to submit their name (or yours), current current curriculum vitae and a paragraph outlining why the recommended person (or you) would be a good candidate.
This information must be sent to one of the members of the Nominating Committee (see below) by May 12th.
This is the perfect opportunity for you to help shape the future of MLA.
The 2014 Nominating Committee members have reviewed the job descriptions for President Elect/President/Past President and Board members, and have discussed key qualifications needed for candidates, including a person who has *broad experience within MLA, significant professional achievements, a great capacity for leadership, a vision of the future of health sciences libraries, and an infectious enthusiasm for the excitement of librarianship at the present time*. The Nominating Committee also discussed the importance of diversity in selecting the slate – key issues to consider are geographic region, library or information service type, and amount of experience.
Please read through the process for selecting candidates and electing the MLA president-elect and members of the MLA Board http://www.mlanet.org/members/pdf/2009_bylaws.pdf (pages 2–3 MUST be MLA member and logged in to MLANET to read this document).
The slate will contain at least two candidates for president-elect (president during 2016/17) and at least four candidates for the two vacant board positions (2015–2018).
Board members http://www.mlanet.org/pdf/mla_bod_jobdesc_200905.pdf
Remember, you need to submit by 12th because the Nominating Committee will meet at MLA ’14 to finalize the list of potential candidates.
Submit your candidates to the MLA 2014/2015 Nominating Committee:
- Jane Blumenthal, Chair – janeblum[at sign] umich [dot]edu
- Amy Blevins – blevinsamy[at sign] gmail [dot] com
- Jonathan Eldredge – jeldredge [at sign] salud.unm [dot] edu
- Susan Fowler – susanfowler.library [at sign] gmail [dot] com
- Mark E. Funk – mefunk [at sign] med.cornell [dot] edu
- Sally Gore – Sally.Gore [at sign] umassmed [dot] edu
- Heather N. Holmes – holmesh [at sign] summahealth [dot] org
- T. Scott Plutchak – tscott [at sign] uab [dot] edu
- James Shedlock – jshedlock [at sign] rcn [dot] com
- Laurie L. Thompson – lauriethompson [at sign] ymail [dot] com